Monday, April 21, 2014

On Hanging Sacrifices as Trophies

I'm well-accustomed to the hanging of animal trophies on the walls, because I grew up in an area where a lot of hunting is done.  I come from a hunting family, and I'm married to a hunting husband.  There is nothing wrong with hunting for food.  If we were to need to survive in the wilderness here in the winter, we wouldn't have a chance if we didn't hunt.  We'd need those sacrificial kills if we were going to live. 

However, I've always been a bit disturbed by the hanging of deer heads on the wall.  I'm quite used to it, as I've never lived in a home where it wasn't done.  My daddy has deer heads on the wall, and my husband has them on our wall.  I don't make a big deal out of it and never have, though my husband does know I think it's a little twisted.  I much prefer the Native Americans' way.  They used the hides, the antlers, almost everything, for useful things like clothes and tools. 

When I was still a kid I felt like the deer were staring at me.  I knew they weren't alive, of course, but it was just haunting and sad to me.  And now I wonder what my own children must think about it. What's the point of hanging deer heads on the wall?

I personally do not even understand why people, especially men, target the biggest, most beautiful bucks.  It makes more sense to me to leave them out there for us to behold and for continued good breeding.  Why does it make some people feel good to kill those particular deer, especially when they are not nearly as good-tasting nor as healthful meat as a younger deer is?  I think it's a power thing, like they outdid that deer.  "I overcame you, and now I'm going to boast about it to everyone by hanging you on my wall." 

That is how it seems to me.  Now I may be offending someone here, but this is my fair opinion.  As I said, my husband knows my opinion well, but he doesn't get offended.  We can get along while still disagreeing.  He lets me hang things I want on the wall, too.   

But the last time I meditated on this, while I was sitting eating breakfast one morning and happened to look over at the deer who was staring at me (like he always does; he was a beautiful deer, and I had to help drag him out of the woods), I thought of the people who hang what is supposed to be a portrayal of Christ hanging on a cross, on their walls.

The "crucifixes" have always disturbed me.  I do not know why people would want to focus on Christ's dead body.  He's alive in heaven!  Let's focus on that.

But at that moment during my meditation, I was even more horrified.  It's a sacrifice trophy.

Now I know many who hang these horrid things in their homes or wear them around their necks don't see it that way.  They would protest that they aren't boasting about his death. 

But how does Christ see it, I wonder?  Does he like being reminded as he peers into your home or sees you walking with that necklace, of the horrible way he died, when many of you are crossing yourselves before engaging in a premeditated sin?  It's usually Catholics who sport the crucifixes, whereas the Protesting Catholics prefer sporting crosses without a body.  What does the Lord Salvation think when he sees those grotesque replicas hanging here and there and everywhere by people who use his grace as a license to sin?

Ironically, those are the ones who claim to celebrate his resurrection on a pagan goddesses' feast day, Easter, but they are showing off his death all day, every day.  On the contrary, those who do not celebrate any resurrection day (which was symbolized by the Firstfruits wave offering, which is counted from to celebrate the Feast of Weeks/Pentecost) and who instead observe the commanded Passover feast to remember Christ's death each year do not sport the horrid crucifixes, nor any image that is supposedly an image of Christ. That would break the second commandment, which the church in Rome conveniently deleted and cleverly divided the tenth commandment into two so that they'd still have ten. 

So what is the reason usually given by those who hang crucifixes?  I'm curious to know.  From my earliest days in life I have never understood why anyone would want to show off a representation of Christ's dead body.  Of course, I also do not understand the Christianity practice of believing that the eucharist bread and the wine literally become our Lord's flesh and blood, either, so that they believe they are sacrificing Christ daily, as if the one time he died as our Passover Lamb didn't do the job.  That is disturbing, too, especially regarding those who take it all lightly and go on living a lifestyle of sin (which certainly does not describe many Catholics, for there are many out there who are truly trying to live righteously, albeit ignorantly concerning many things). 

Regardless of a person's reason, one thing is for sure.  Displaying what you call Christ's body dead on your wall or necklace (or whatever else) is a sin, the transgression of the second commandment.  God isn't going to conform to Rome's changing His law, deleting the second commandment.  He will rather judge based on the way He wrote His law.  

To be covered by the Anointed Salvation's sacrifice, you must repent of breaking the second commandment, and all other nine commandments.  Hanging animal trophies is one thing, but hanging a dead "Jesus" up as your Christianity trophy is a sin.  


No comments: