Monday, October 12, 2009

God Doesn't Always Give Us for What We Ask

A few days before we left for the annual Feast of Tabernacles my six year old son Jaden (formerly known by his middle name William) asked God to replace something immediately upon the spot.  It happened to be one of my back windows to my Jeep.  It was busted out by a rock thrown by the lawn mower well over a month ago, and we still haven't replaced it (but will soon).  Jaden told me that what he'd asked. 

I proceeded to tell Jaden not to expect a new glass window to appear before his eyes.  He asked me why not, since God can do anything.  I had to explain to him that God is not a magic genie that grants every wish upon our command.  There are plenty of times where God doesn't even give us what we want, even though He's a loving Father to many.

I said, "Jade, it's much like all the times you ask your Daddy or me for things, and we tell you 'no.'  It's our pleasure to give you thinks for which you ask, but we don't always give you those things, and many times it's not even in your best interest."

I explained that we'd likely have to buy a new window and pay someone to install it.  Even though it was an accident, we still have to put the money and effort into replacing it ourselves.  I told my son that most of the time we had to work for things to get done or to earn things.  We are no different than God in this respect.  My Father doesn't pass out goodies and blessings and easy fixes to me or any of His other children every time we ask.  It simply doesn't work that way.

Jaden was satisfied with my explanation and learned a little more about what God is really like with that lesson.

No comments: